Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Busy Bee Me



I don’t just have one specific hobby. When in my free time I do whatever I can find that sounds fun. I was always interested in sports while I was younger and now that I think of it, I played a lot of them. I was never bored or not busy. I always had a game, a practice, or a competition to be at. There was never a relax period in my life or a pause button and I enjoyed that. Growing up I did many different things, from sports to theatre. You will hear them all.

My first hobby would have my gymnastics. Every week I would run home and get dressed in my leotard and wait until 6 pm for class. I had a great teacher and being the age of 4 I had a lot of energy to waste. I loved being able to do flips on the mats and jumps on the trampoline. I think my parents say this because they had bought me a trampoline and every day I would be out there jumping on it. I would learn front flips, back flips, and different bounces. I continued gymnastics until I was 6.

Then I get interested in dance. My school had a small dance team and the coach had asked me if I would be interested in it. I of course said yes and my hip hop dance career had started. I loved moving around to the sound of music in a rhythmic way. My favorite part was the competitions. I’m very competitive and so was the rest of my team so we would always go out there and give it our all. I continued dancing until the 4th grade.
While in gymnastics and dance I also played soccer, softball, and basketball. I started soccer around the age of 4, when I started tumbling.

I loved soccer; being able to run up and down that field trying to make a goal. It can be a very competitive sport especially when you have your mom on the sidelines cheering you on to get the ball. Growing up with the sport of soccer I mostly played defense and sometimes midfield. I was very strong willed and if I didn’t want tat ball going into the goalies net, it wasn’t going to. My 4th coach saw me as a goalie and for some reason he wouldn’t stop bothering me about it until I was in that net. I hated the position but he would always say “I wouldn’t put you in there if you weren’t good at it.” He was one of my favorite coaches, and I learned the most with him. I played with him for 5 years until I broke my toe. I was too scared to play after that so it took me a while to get back on the field; but once I did it was worth it. I played soccer for my high school for 2 years and in total about 11 years. Softball was also a passion of mine when I was younger. I met a lot of great friends from that sport; ones I still talk to today. I started softball when I turned 5 years old. I always like watching baseball so I thought I’d give softball a try. I have had my ups and downs with this game; but I always got up and going again. I played all positions at one point or another but my favorite was shortstop and third base. Most balls would come flying that way and I wanted to be where the action was. I grew up playing this sport as well and also played my freshman year of high school. I played softball for about 11 years and sometimes I wish I was playing it again. Basketball started when I was in the 2nd grade. It was a town thing, and being the busy body I was I told my mom to sign me up. I enjoyed playing it, but I wouldn’t say it was a passion of mine.

At the end of my third grade year I started playing the trumpet for my school band. I would go home and practice every night just so I would get better. I loved solo time because I could show off what I had learned and I was able to perform. I would sit on the phone with my grandma and just play for her while she listened on the other line. If I was to have a passion, trumpet playing would be it.


At the age of 11 I could start playing sports for my grade school. They only had volleyball, basketball, and track and field but I played them all. Volleyball was my favorite because I have never played it before. It was something new that I enjoyed. I played volleyball up until my eighth grade year. Next was basketball. This was fun until my mom started coaching it. After that I wasn’t a big fan. While participating in track and field I threw the discus. Wasn’t very good but I tried and had fun with it.


After entering high school, I tried getting away from the sports and more into the arts. I tried out and played trumpet for our school marching band, pep band, concert band, and jazz band. Anytime I could play I would. My sophomore year I got involved in theatre. My speech teacher was the director and asked if I could play my trumpet for a part of the play. I of course accepted and once I was on that stage you couldn’t get me off. The following years I participated in both the student directed plays and the musical. I didn’t have much talent for singing, but I could play and that’s exactly what I did.

Being in college now I’ve had time to continue my hobbies, maybe not all the time but at least once a week. I joined the schools pep band so I can still play my trumpet, and I have played intramural sports like softball and flag football to keep me active. As the year progresses on I plan to play more sports and just keep involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment